LATEST UPDATES from the san Leandro Teachers association
Thank you for showing up to Wednesday’s ratification vote. With 314 voters, we had strong voter turnout despite the difficult traffic on Bancroft Avenue. The agreement now goes to the school board for final approval. Our tentative agreement was a win for teachers and students, with continued progress in salaries for strong retention and recruitment, and major gains for class sizes and caseloads.
I’d like to take this moment to recognize what went into building such a strong agreement...
• First, the success of our colleagues in Oakland, Los Angeles and New Haven and the national “Red for Ed” movement has changed the discussion around public education. It’s been a long time since the political climate has been so supportive of our public schools.
• Second, the strength of our local organization -- Jon and Anita left us in a very strong position to continue the work, along with the focus and courage of the bargaining team.
• Most importantly, SLTA’s extraordinary membership rates. We’ve ended each of the last two years with 99% membership rates, and the District knows it. It’s clear that when the leadership speaks, we have all of you behind us.
This week, I’ll be meeting with teachers at John Muir at lunch on Tuesday, and McKinley at lunch on Wednesday. I’ll have member benefit brochures and CTA calendars. While these site visits don’t have a set agenda, teachers have been bringing important issues to me, and sharing their vision of what our Union should be working on. I’ll also meet another batch of new teachers, especially folks who’ve been hired since the beginning of the year.
A few things to remember:
• By Thursday, your class sizes should be established at or below the contractual mandates.
• The scheduled work day is 6 hours and 40 minutes for all members. All members have a scheduled duty-free lunch, and a prep period.
• The contract is online. You can access it through the Personnel Services window of the District Website, or click on this link:
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.